The Great Eastern Railway was rather late in the development and use of gangwayed corridor stock. Only starting to build sets in 1905. Most trains until then still used 4 and 6 wheel stock. The GER was never a prosperous concern, and always suffered from a lack of funds. Hence the late arrival of gangwayed stock. In 1905 a design and building program was set in place to bring some sort of standardisation to GE carriages. Prior there was a great divergence in style of carriages, some looking completely different from other GE stock. Built of expensive teak, the designs made use of every piece available, hence the panelling below the waist to make use of small offcuts. No great lengths of timber as seen on Gresley’s GNR carriages. During the 1930’s the LNER was anxious to develop more passenger traffic on branch lines in rural areas. Many extra basic halts were built without platforms. To facilitate passenger boarding, external steps were built on one or two sides of certain carriages. These have been included. Also included is a Camping Third, very popular in LNER and BR eras. Some conversions are included, the large window conversion of the restaurant First, and some of the buffet conversions. Also included in these sets are the clerestory non-corridors built in the 1890’s. The Luggage Composite was built in large numbers and saw extensive service all over the GE. Most of these carriages remained in service into the 1950’s.